March 23, 2012

Favorite Cookbooks

Posted by Butterly Fabulous at 8:09 PM
A few of you have asked me what my favorite cookbooks are. Well, guess what?! I'm an avid cookbook collector and would love to share my opinion and thoughts, thanks for asking!

After working with different chefs and pastry chefs, I've learned that some will only pick up cookbooks from those that are very well known in our industry. Then there's some who try to gain knowledge and creativity through many different chefs and outlets. I fall into the second category ;).

I may not always think the lesser known chef's recipes are the greatest...I mean, the best are the best for a reason, right? However, that doesn't mean that they don't have something to offer!

Here are a few of my favorites:


LOL ok, ok...yes, I started with famed Pastry Chef Pierre Hermé...but darn it, his book is awesome! Want to know why? In comparison to other macaron books I've picked up, Chef Hermé does a wonderful job at breaking down each and *every* step on how to make the perfect macaron. I mean EVERY step. How many steps, you ask? Thirty-two! Yes, you read that right...THIRTY-TWO. He also offers a picture at every step so you can make sure you're doing things correctly. If you're looking for the best book on how to make macarons...look no further. I picked up a copy on Amazon.co.uk since the English version wasn't available on the US site at the time and the sellers who were selling the book were way overpriced!


Heidi Swanson,(@101cookbooks), has wonderful recipes in her book "Super Natural Every Day". I adore her blog and her recipes are delicious! Her book offers nourishing vegetarian dishes that can easily be converted to vegan. She has helped open up my world to fresh and *flavorful* foods. Her Quinoa Patties made with garlic, parmesan and fresh herbs offers a slightly salty, toasty crunch but at the same time, they melt in your mouth! Yummmmmy goodness...you can't tell me that you're not salivating looking at the picture of them ;). It's ok...just don't let anyone see you drool...it'll be our secret ;).


Last but definitely not least..."Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero.


These two ladies have done an outstanding job with the recipes they offer us. Their books, "Veganomicon", "Vegan Pie in the Sky", and "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar", to name a few, have made such an impact for many vegans and aspiring vegans. In the book "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" they offer mouth watering cupcakes that are simple to make and these delightful recipes let vegans indulge in dessert. Who says you have to be vegan to enjoy these cupcakes though?! Believe me, there's a cupcake for everyone!

A couple recipes I've tried were their "Banana Split Cupcakes" and their "Coconut Lime Cupcakes". The banana split flavor took me back to my childhood when my parents would take me to O'Farrell's Ice Cream shop. The three of us would plop down in a booth, order up a huge banana split and "argue" over who has eaten more than their share of whipped cream, nuts or fudge =).

The coconut lime reminded me of my visit to Lahaina in Maui and discovering coconut lime body lotion for the first time at a little shop on the water that sat near their famous Banyan Tree. This was before the scent became huge at Bath & Body Works lol ;). The smell of coconuts and lime in the warm breeze while watching the sunset...oh my gosh, I *must* go back soon!

Such wonderful memories...

OK, back to the cupcake! The mixture of lime zest and coconut flavor in the moist cake with the slightly tart lime frosting AND coconut shavings...need I say more?! If you're dreaming of Maui now, don't forget to take me with you! I'll make you all the cupcakes you want ;)!

So, there it is...three of my favorite cookbooks. What are some of your "go-to" cookbooks?

*All photos come directly from books mentioned.*

0 comments on "Favorite Cookbooks"

Post a Comment